Call us toll-free: 800-878-7828 — Monday - Friday — 8AM - 5PM EST
By Naomi Diaz for Becker’s Hospital Review
Ransomware attacks on healthcare organizations globally increased by 94 percent year over year, according to a 2022 report from cybersecurity firm Sophos.
The report surveyed 5,600 IT professionals and included interviews with 381 healthcare IT professionals from 31 countries.
Five things to know:
- In 2021, 66 percent of healthcare organizations said they had experienced a ransomware attack, up from 34 percent in 2020.
- Sixty-one percent of healthcare organizations that suffered a ransomware attack paid the ransom; this is the highest percentage of any sector.
- On average, after paying the ransom, healthcare organizations were only able to recover 65 percent of encrypted data.
- Only 78 percent of healthcare organizations surveyed had a cyberinsurance policy.
- Ninety-seven percent of healthcare organizations had upgraded their cybersecurity defenses.