Call us toll-free: 800-878-7828 — Monday - Friday — 8AM - 5PM EST
By Andrew Cass for Becker’s Hospital Review
The American Medical Association released updates Sept. 8 to its Current Procedural Terminology code set for 2024.
Five things to know:
- The annual update to the CPT code set created 349 editorial changes, including 230 additions, 49 deletions and 70 revisions.
- AMA now offers Spanish language descriptors for more than 11,000 medical procedures and services to bridge language barriers and make healthcare more inclusive and transparent for Spanish-speaking patients.
- Changes include the consolidation of more than 50 previous codes that streamline the reporting of immunizations for COVID-19. The CPT editorial panel also approved the provisional codes (91318-91322) to identify monovalent vaccine products from Moderna and Pfizer for immunization against COVID-19. A new vaccine administration code (90480) was approved for reporting the administration of any COVID-19 vaccine for any patient, replacing all previously approved product-specific vaccine administration codes
- Five new CPT codes have been created to report product-specific respiratory syncytial virus immunizations (90380, 90381, 90683, 90679, and 90678).
- The CPT editorial panel added revisions to clarify the reporting of evaluation and management services. These include:
- The removal of time ranges from office or other outpatient visit codes (99202-99205, 99212-99215) and alignment of the format with other E/M codes.
- A definition to determine the “substantive portion” of a split/shared E/M visit when a physician and nonphysician practitioner work together to furnish all the work related to the visit.
- Instructions for reporting hospital inpatient or observation care services and admission and discharge services for the use of codes 99234-99236 when the patient stay crosses over two calendar dates.
The changes take effect Jan. 1, 2024. Read the full release explaining the updates and changes here.